Monday, May 3, 2010

The Same Old Scams Keep Rotating


Nothing annoys me more than knowing people are still being scammed of their hard earned money. One scam I thought had dwindled away (for the most part) was the Nigerian scams. But, today I received something disguised as a comment on an article I had written requesting that I go to a particular website, provide banking information and a check would be sent to me to deposit into my account.

Why? you may wonder. There was a comment included that said I appeared friendly from my profile. While I do consider myself a friendly person, I have not met anyone in all my years that has just wanted to give me money just because. Neither am I naive.

Can you imagine what would have happened if I had sent in my personal banking information to them, or deposited a check into my account from this strange individual? What if I started writing checks based on the belief that this newfound money was in my account? I shudder to think about it. While I didn't take those steps, I know someone out there will based on the belief that their situation is different. Perhaps they are more trusting.

Remember, be careful. Various scams are in full force, more than ever. Before doing anything, check and then double check. If you are uneasy- don't do it. If it seems to good to be true-remember it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment